About Sawatzky’s Furniture & Appliances
Bill, Dave, and Pete Sawatzky’s father began selling appliances in 1950 from the Halbstadt location.
In 1957 the three sons opened their first appliance only store in Altona where product was sold and serviced from that location until 1982; when a new shop was built at its current location in the community.
August of 1985 saw an expansion to the Winkler market with the opening of an appliance store followed by the purchase of Four Season Sales in Altona, where the business began its venture into the furniture business.
Four Seasons Sales was previously owned by Ben Hildebrand who continued to work for the Sawatzky’s for another 33 years.
In January of 2014, Sawatzky’s Furniture and Appliances was purchased by Brad and Norma Collins from Morden, Manitoba, who owned and operated Eldon’s Furniture.
Eldon’s Furniture was established in 1978 by Eldon and Bonnie Gerbrandt who sold the store to the Collins’ in 2008.
In 2014 the Morden store was converted to the Sawatzky brand and appliances were added to the sales floor.
February of 2018 saw the latest expansion that included the purchase of the Home Furniture & Appliance location in Winkler from Earl and Dorothy Braun and converted to the Sawatzky name.
The Sawatzky Appliance store was closed and the appliance assortment was amalgamated into the new location at 295 Kimberley Road.
An expansion to the appliance department along with other interior and exterior renovations was completed shortly after.